Meat is expensive.
So to cut down on the grocery budget, I’ve tried to incorporate several meatless meals into our dinners during the week-we rarely eat meat for breakfast or lunch (except for my kid’s dose of chicken nuggets at lunch time once or twice a week). When I saw this recipe on my friend, Laura’s blog, I knew I had to try to it. She got it from CookinFanatic.
Of course, in my true fashion, I didn’t follow the recipe but adapted it for what I had on hand. It was delicious!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 16 oz. bag prewashed baby spinach
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 T prepared pesto
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta liquid
- salt and pepper
- 10 leaves of fresh basil from my garden, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Fresh grated Parmesan
- Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- Boil Pasta according to directions on box
- Saute Onions in 1 T of olive oil. Add garlic once onions are translucent. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Add 1 can tomatoes and 2 T pesto.
- Drain Pasta. Add to Sauce.
- Add reserved pasta liquid, salt and pepper to taste, and fresh basil.
- Fry egg over easy.
- Plate it-Balsamic Vinegar Reduction, Pasta, Fried Egg, and Fresh grated Parmesan. (You don’t need the reduction. I just love it!)
Comes together quickly!
I served it with a spinach salad topped with blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon almonds, and my poppyseed dressing.
We had this meal last Thursday night for dinner and then Mike and I ate the leftovers on Saturday for lunch. Plus I had a little of the pasta leftovers on Friday with my lunch. Can you tell we loved it?
After dinner Thursday night, we headed out for an evening swim.
Then home for bedtime.
I LOVE my life!