Our neighbor, who we like to affectionately call Mr. Janet Hendrix, brought us these strawberries he picked last Thursday. He has brought us okra, peppers, pound cake, etc. (If you know Janet, you’ll get it! 🙂 ) And we love him!
From the moment I saw these strawberries I started craving strawberry bread or muffins. But I’m following a nutrition plan right now and I knew strawberry muffins were not on it! 🙂 I settled with using the strawberries to top salads, oatmeal, and yogurts and to make smoothies with. I came to the bottom of the container yesterday, and I was still craving Strawberry Muffins. I decided to try to concoct a healthy strawberry muffin recipe. My efforts were well worth it and it was a success!
Luke and I made them together, and it literally took us 10 minutes to put them together and 18 minutes to cook.
Strawberry Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (You could sub white whole wheat flour too but the pastry flour makes them light and fluffy.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or you could substitute 3/4 cup sugar)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 2 T whole wheat flour
- 1/8 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T butter
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 muffin cup pan.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat bananas, agave or sugar, egg, vanilla, and greek yogurt. Mix into flour mixture till just moist.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Fill prepared muffin tins till 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, cut raw sugar, 2 T flour, 1 T butter, and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Top Muffins with mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
Delicious goodness!! They taste like an indulgence but they aren’t.
We enjoyed them outside this morning on the patio with a couple of scrambled egg whites. It was so nice enjoying a leisurely morning on the deck eating a nice breakfast with my children. It was a beautiful spring morning!